Turning 30: The Asian Edition Part I
Back in 2007, Pamela Redmond Satran wrote an article in Glamour Magazine titled “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Know by the Time She’s 30”. Although printed in 1997, before going viral was a “thing”, it managed to do just that. In celebration of all the women turning 30 in 2015, we bring you the Asian edition of this venerable list.
Things Every Woman Should Have by the time She’s 30:
- A sense of what she is needs in a partner, what she will not tolerate and the hindsight to back her logic up.
- One decent set of real jewellery from Asia.
- Something perfect to wear to every function should a cousin decide to marry with only three months notice.
- A daywear salwar kameez she’s can don proudly.
- An ethnically involved childhood she’s not bashful about sharing with others.
- A past juicy enough to share in her old age—censorable for grandchildren.
- Accepted that old age is inevitable and may not include the joint family arrangement she grew-up in and is accustomed to.
- A Facebook/Twitter/Instagram account inaccessible to snooping cousins and nosy aunties.
- A CV that outlines the direction she (and no one else) would like her career to go.
- A plan B should things not go as planned.
- One aunty who always makes her laugh and one who lets her cry.
- A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill and a decent kajal pencil.
- The strength to stand up to her mother-in-law, especially if it involves the children.
- A parlour that threads her eyebrows to perfection and does not charge more than £3 a visit.
- A solid start on a satisfying career should she choose to have one.