Split Pea Dhal with Spinach
1 cup of yellow split peas soaked
1 onion chopped into small pieces
3 large cloves of garlic crushed and minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
2 cups of cleaned chopped spinach
Salt to taste
5 cups of water
2 chopped tomatoes
- Put the soaked rinsed split peas in a large pan with the 5 cups of water, onion and spices.
- Add the garlic and bring to a boil for about 20 minutes.
- Stir and add more water if you want a runnier mixture.
- If you want a thick dhal let the water reduce and when the mixture is thick add the spinach and tomatoes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook for about 15 more minutes.
- Then in a frying pan add 3 tablespoons of oil & about a quarter of a chopped onion and a tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Fry until the onions and garlic are golden.
- While everything is sizzling add this to the dhal mixture and make sure the dhal is at a rolling boil.
- Boil for 2 to 3 minutes and turn to a simmer for another 2 minutes.
- The mixture should be thick and creamy.
Share This Post: